Saturday, August 23, 2008

Best Day Yet!

We had 2 great visits today. This morning we went to the orphanage and 1st we went to Luke's room then we went to get Micah. Micah was sitting in the floor with all the other children watching cartoons. He got dressed and we went out to play. I guess you can tell by now they only have about 2 sets of clothes. They won't have to worry about that when we get home. Meme is already loading them up.

We played with water guns and on the slide. We also gave both of them beach balls so they love kicking those around. We found out that Luke loves yogurt. He started saying "num num". After he ate all of his he kept licking the cup. Micah liked it but not as much as bananas.

James had to get on to Micah several times today. He likes to stick his tongue out when he gets in trouble and thinks it's funny. Boy, we have our work cut out for us but I wouldn't change a thing.

Kyle- Aunt Penny is sitting here listening to the chicken dance song while I'm typing. There are a lot of kids staying here. It is like a summer camp. Uncle James says hello to "His Friend".

We brought several books and point to the pictures and they repeat it in English. James read a race car book and Micah repeated every word. Luke thought it was funny.

We are getting better communicating with them. James has learned when they want on his shoulders. Luke fell and opened up a boo boo that was already on his knee. He started crying and let us pick him up and hold him. We cleaned it off and put some antibiotic cream on it. At first he was scared but we blew on it and he got better.

There are dogs everywhere in this city. The ones at the orphanage get chicken bones to eat. James and I kept worrying they would choke but they didn't.

The food here at the hotel is different but edible. We have had some very good meals and some not so good. This morning we had chicken, noodles, tomatoes, fresh bread and peaches for breakfast. For lunch we had beet,corn and cheese salad (surprisingly good), James thought the beets taste like dirt. We also had a cabbage roll with pork (we think)in the middle and mash potatoes designed like a seashell. The best was the watermelon. Tonight I told James how much I was craving salsa. We got to dinner and guess what, we had a plate with onions, tomatoes and peppers with a sweet taste. It was very good. We had egg custard (unsweetened)and 2 meatballs (maybe sausage?) on a plate of some kind of oats. I thought it may be some kind of wheat. We also had rolls and cookies. To drink they give us hot tea and juice that taste like plums.

I guess you can say the biggest things we have had to overcome are the smells. When you turn on the water you smell some kind of gas. Cab rides you smell the fumes from the thousands of cars trying to all get in the same lane. The noise everywhere is pretty loud. I guess because their independence day is Monday so the cities are already celebrating with loud music and fire works. It interesting until about 11pm when you are trying to go to sleep. James is hoping that it's fireworks we are hearing and not Russia. There is only so much you can do with a Swiss army knife. Ha ha!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Mom and Betty- The first thing we want when we get home is a diet Mt Dew and a Diet Dr Pepper with lots of ice.

We sure do miss everyone and I think Lee Greenwood said it best "I'm Proud to be an American!!!".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I just love the pics of the boys and ya'll together. You look like the perfect family. Thank you for sharing your blog with me. It has been a blessing. Your furry babies are doing very well. They seem to be getting very attached to me :) Eli wants me to hold him a lot ... and I do. He gets lots of kisses. I keep telling Jags he is going to have playmates as energetic as he is (giggle) he is just the perfect dog for kids. My Eli had to go to the vet, he may have pancreatitis, Dr. Jandrilich is keeping him overnight on fluids and will call me tomorrow, I think he will be fine, i took him as soon as he started throwing up. Your Eli's ear is better, he lets me put his medicine in his ear now with no trouble. I think he likes me, I know I just love him. Anyway, I'm so excited for ya'll. I'll be waiting for updates.
God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! Your boys are adorable!! I can't wait for them to be here so we can all love and squeeze them! Your pictures just make me cry - you guys look so happy. God is wonderful! We love you and miss you!
Rachel

Rose Mary said...

Hi Penny,

I was sitting here doing homework and I was wondering how the adoption was going and stopped by your blog. I am happy to see you have 2 children already and they are 2 lucky kids to have you as a mom. I hope your trip continues to go well and may you receive all the blessing you deserve. God always has plan and I am very happy for you. Take Care and enjoy the ride.

Rose Mary Perez Cali gal