Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Rick!























Happy Birthday Rick! Today is Rick's Birthday and we celebrated at dinner with a cake and mystery meat. We sang Happy Birthday and shared in Rick's chocolate cake that Melissa bought. Now this was no ordinary cake as none of them are here in Ukraine. Let me advise those of you that come here to visit or to adopt. Most cakes you buy here have some type of liquor in them. Also, if Ukrainians find out you are celebrating something they want to celebrate with you. There was one gentleman that gave Rick his wafer cookie and then offered him some vodka. Another man turned around and we think he was saying I'm in! Russian tradition is that they drink in 3's. They were making hand gestures as to say that Rick would sleep well tonight. I bet he would. The older man seen in the picture left to go get something and told Rick to wait. Rick kept saying nyet vodka. We finally made it out of there without hurting their feelings. I bet this is a birthday Rick will never forget.

Notice in the pictures that James has rejoined the goat club. I think he looks a lot better. Also, there is a picture of me pushing the buttons in our elevator. The elevator holds about 3 people tops but we have been able to fit 4 in there.

We finally got a picture of the little puppy. She is getting so fat from everyone feeding her. She is very unique in that she has 6 toes on both back feet. Every morning when we go out to catch our taxi we play and pet her. It reminds me of home. I miss our babies so much.

We were able to get a picture of the Ukraine flag at our hotel. Ben is going to find us one when we get back to Kiev so we can hang it in the boys room when we get home. We keep trying to get pictures of some of the birds here that are very colorful and unique but by the time we get the camera they are gone.

Chris G- notice the picture of the 2 women. James said he will put you on a flight to pick out a wife. Just kidding these are 2 of the ladies that work in the dinning hall and they are very sweet.

Today was a great day at the orphanage. Not long after we were there and Micah starting his squealing, the Asst. Director came and took us to her office again. I believe they had some more guest and were trying to hide us but nevertheless we always have a great time in there. Remember, this is where all the good toys are. Micah was acutally very well behaved today. He started putting all the magnetic numbers and letters on a board and would bring them to Mama so I could clap and say bravo (which in Russian means good job). Notice how he loves to wear James' hat. Everytime James wears one he will take it off and wear the entire time we are there.

Luke is beginning to ask for juice by saying "juice" and he loves gum so much that he will say it in the Russian name but then says "please". Grandma's make sure we have plenty of sugarfree bubble gum when we get home.

Well we are counting down. Only 9 days left before we pick up the boys. We can't wait, time seems to be dragging by but it will be here before you know it. Today we were both very homesick. Not depressed just homesick. I think mine hit after we went to lunch and the only thing on the table I wanted to eat were grapes. Then Mom called and I really got homesick. I think it is all the groundhog days. We are planning on going to the market and maybe visit the boys twice tomorrow. We are hoping the weather is clearing up so we can go back to the open market. We have a few more things we need to get for the boys. maybe this time we will get some pictures. Saturday we are going to get our favorite driver (Tola) to take us site seeing so we can get some more pictures of the area.

Linda- hopefully we will be coming home around the 8th or sooner.

Love and Blessings!

Penny, James, Luke and Micah

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent a blog this morning but can't find it now?? I also left Mark doing one and I walked out of the room!!???!!?? Oh no. No telling what happened. You know the computer thing and Pastor's rep. with computers. You may never find those 2 blogs. Anyway - celebrations are definitely different there - but hey at least they were willing to "help" you celebrate!! Hee hee.
GOd is good - and we
Love ya
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hello, I was showing Hope your pictures of the boys and she wants you to tell them "HI". I think its kinda neat that they are the same age as Caleb and Hope. Maybe they will be great pals.Keep looking up the time will pass off fast now. Keep your hand in the hand of the Man upstairs and He will lead you home.
LOVE
Miss Margie

Anonymous said...

Ya'll will be home soon. Tell Rick a belated happy birthday and if he and his wife will come to Alabama we will only insist he drink sweet tea. I know the 8th seems far away but it will be here before you know it. I don't think I have told you yet but our daughter Leah is expecting. We are all so excited - she is so sick with morning sickness that lasts somedays throughout the day. I told her this would pass eventually. Take care and remember there are alot of people here praying for you. Some who don't even know you that we have asked to keep you lifted up too. God is so amazing. Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

I feel pretty yacky today so you get actually 2 or 3 blogs today. I found the one from this morning - it was under the had a great day thingie I think.
We can handle the bubble gum thing - HA! Caleb loves the bubble gum - He tries so hard to blow bubbles. It's so cute. Another thing in common. I can well imagine how homesick you must be. I was only in Belize for a week and man - I really got homesick quick. We couldn't have ice - - - the water thing you know. Then the lights were so dim. I wanted our lights!! AND I missed our food!!! Our good ole' American food. I so understand you!! I feel your pain. When we got to Atlanta - - I nearly cried when I heard them talking!! Our kind of English - - you know what I mean. Ahhhh - - the days are going down!!!! You will look back on this experience as an adventure of a lifetime. There will be so much to share and tell us all. We can't wait to hear it and see your pictures and especially party with your family!!! Man - - the time will be here soon. Love you !!

Kathy

Rick and Melissa Butsko said...

thanks for the birthday celebration and wishes guys! We had a good time and it is true I will not forget it!